Health

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Intermittent Fasting

 I have lately watching through YouTube a channel called GrowWithJo (absolutely LOVE her channel) and found one of her videos about Intermittent Fasting. 


Intermittent Fasting


Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting. It does not say anything about which foods to eat, but rather when you should eat them. There are several different intermittent fasting methods, all of which split the day or week into eating periods and fasting periods.
Read more on healthline.com



She does a what is called a 16:8 schedule which means that she eats from 12pm-8pm and then fasts for the rest of the time. I thought "I could do this!" and started on Monday to see if Intermittent Fasting was a good program for me. 

On Monday, I woke up and already started feeling hungry. I think it was my mind playing tricks on me because I knew that I wouldn't be eating until 12pm. By 10:30 my stomach was making loud gurgling noises. I was HUNGRY! 

When the clock struck 12pm, I couldn't open my protein bar fast enough. I eat normally the rest of the day until 8pm, I said goodbye to food. I went to bed with a headache and moody. I yelled at my kids for no reason, things irritated me and I was just done with the day. Could this fasting cause all this? 

The next day I decided to Google side effects of intermittent fasting and found this: 

#1. Intermittent fasting may make you feel sick.

Depending on the length of the fasting period, people may experience headaches, lethargy, crankiness, and constipation. To decrease some of these unwanted side effects, you may want to switch from adf fasting to periodic fasting or a time restricted eating plan that allows you to eat everyday within a certain time period.




So that explains my crankiness and headache - was this worth it? I decided to give it a full week before giving up. 

I am now on day #4 and I must say, its getting easier. My stomach hasn't gurgled for hunger, I have an easier time staying within my calorie range and I have been feeling pretty good (no grouchiness). I still want something to eat around 10:30-11 and sometimes waiting for that clock to hit 12 is hard, but I am doing well. I will give this a full 2 weeks and see how the scale reacts to this. If I am not losing weight, then I will switch back to my regular eating schedule (eating every two hours from the time I wake up). 

Let me know if you have any experience with intermittent fasting - did it work for you? Do you feel a difference? Is it all worth it? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Weigh in Day - Another 2lbs!

 I  am down to 226.8!!  Woot Woot!  Since starting this journey - I have lost 8.2Lbs! I am pretty happy about that. Still the heaviest I hav...